16th October 2018 – Public Meeting

  Filed under: Residents Meetings
  Comments: None

PUBLIC MEETING
16 October 2018
SPRINGWELL SOCIAL CLUB
MINUTES

Present:
Chair A. Templeman
Secretary P. Cooper

Treasurer
G. Martin

Other committee members
M. Lambton
H. Fife
Cllr B. Scaplehorn

Apologies
Cllrs H & D Trueman
M. Johnson
D. Lambton
L. Pickup C. Brown

22 Members of the Public Attended

1. The minutes of the previous meeting were moved, seconded and agreed.

2. Police: Police were unable to attend the meeting but will submit a report which will be uploaded onto SVRA website. However, incidents known to have occurred in the village: arson at a property in Lismore Terrace, damage to Pizza shop windows and intruders on site at Thompsons.

3. Bowes Railway: (1) Saturday 27 October, Ghost Night with medium Suzanne Gill. Looking for paranormal activity, has electronic equipment, cameras etc. Takes place 10pm- 3am, price £40 includes hot broth & bun, drinks available from cafe. Adults only
(2) Wednesday 31 October, Halloween event, beginning at the witches & wizards den. £4 adults, £3 child
(3) Saturday 3 November, bonfire & fireworks event, £4 adult, £3 child
(4) Upcoming events, keep an eye on Bowes Facebook page:-
* Christmas Wreath Making taster workshop
* Christmas Choir taster workshop
* Childrens’ Activity event with visit to see Santa
Cllr Scaplehorn highlighted the valuable work done by volunteers and Washington Clean & Green to clear the railway lines, paths and site of overgrown grass, weeds and debris. This has enabled Bowes to meet the criteria that allows it to remain open. Volunteers have also been trained on weed control.

4. Northumbrian Water Proposed Underground Reservoir: Update on NWL planning application for a formal opinion on the scope of an Environmental Impact Assessment. The following have been consulted:-

Environment Agency, Highways England, Historic England, Natural England, Tyne & Wear County Archaeologist as well as Council departments:- Environmental Health, Ecologist, Lead Flood authority, Local Highway Authority and Network Management.

All agreed the need for detailed scoping and have also highlighted:
1) Northumbrian Water provide details of what other sites they considered and reasons why they were discounted.

2) Natural England advises bat survey, reptiles, invertebrates, wintering & breeding birds of conservation concern and northern boundary hedgerow (separates NWL site from Hellens site) all to be included in the scoping exercise. Key concern is impact on wetlands such as Springwell Ponds Local Wildlife Site.

3) Historic England raised the potential impact on Bowes Railway scheduled ancient monument.

4) Air Quality- the scope of proposals is considered reasonable.

5) Ground conditions- should be included in Environmental Statement. Environment Agency has highlighted potential risk of contamination from historic landfill sites along route of proposed pipeline.

6) Landscape & visual- considered reasonable but Council’s architect has requested a view point on Springwell Road near the stable block be added to the environmental statement.

7) Highways England & Council’s Network Management Service have requested full traffic & transport chapter in the Environmental Statement and it is noted that the scoping report highlights one will be provided. This also needs to quantify HGV movements on the road network, none of which will come through the village. It is hoped that waste from the site could be recycled at Thompsons but the outcome of the ongoing Thompsons planning application will determine if this is possible.

8) Water & Flood risk- flood alleviation & drainage improvements have been made to land in the immediate vicinity recently (Beech Grove) and as such the Lead Local Flood Authority has recommended ongoing consultation with them.

SVRA asked planners about the reference (made by NWL’s consultants Lichfields) to the Great North Forest on this site in Sunderland’s Unitary Development Plan. Council planners replied that until the CSDP is adopted by the Council, the UDP remains the Development Plan for the city. SVRA has asked planners to clarify why the Great North Forest wasn’t mentioned in CSDP consultation documents and what impact this would have on proposals to delete green belt land in the village – awaiting response.

5. Thompsons: Planning application for retention of recycling facility. Council planners have asked for additional information on noise and arranged a site visit next week. The issue is complicated by trying to separate general background noise from that made by the works on site eg if prevailing wind comes from S/SE then noise from A194 & A1 increases general noise levels. Looking at ways to accurately gauge noise coming from the works alone (one suggestion is to compare noise when working on site to when on tea break). Although the determination date is 31 October 2018 it is probable that a decision won’t be made for a few months yet.
A resident raised the question of public access to the restored woodland areas and recalled seeing topographical plans showing picnic areas etc. as part of the Great North Forest. Cllr. Scaplehorn to get copies of relevant documents if possible.

6) Core Strategy and Dev Plan: Recently released ONS Local Authority 2016 Based Housing Projections indicate that Sunderland needs 5,288 houses rather than the 13,410 being proposed by Sunderland Council. Unfortunately these figures were released after the closing date for comments in the CSDP consultation process but SVRA will highlight this information at the Public Inquiry.

7. AOB: A Halloween Event is taking place at the Hall on Saturday 27 October- fun night with fancy dress, quiz and music, £2.50 per ticket.
Concern was expressed at motorists not adhering to the 20mph speed limit through the village. SVRA will look into possibility of having a temporary mobile speed camera unit located in the village.
Concerns were raised at the state of land leading from Hunters Tce down to The Blackberries, caused by vehicles being driven over it and randomly placed stones. Cllr Scaplehorn agreed to look into the matter.

8) Next meeting Tuesday 27 November 2018

Be the first to write a comment.

Your feedback