3rd October 2017 – Public Meeting

  Filed under: Residents Meetings
  Comments: None

PUBLIC MEETING 03 October 2017
SPRINGWELL SOCIAL CLUB
MINUTES
Present:
Chair A. Templeman
Vice Chair M. Johnson
Secretary P.Cooper
Treasurer G. Martin

Other committee members
H. Fife
C. Brown
M. Lambton
S. Thomas
Cllr. H. Trueman
Cllr. D. Trueman

Apologies
Cllr. B.Scaplehorn
D. Lambton
L. Pickup

Guests
Paul Armin, Sunderland Council
Andy Downer, Northumbrian Water

Approx 60 Members of the Public Attended

1.The minutes of the previous meeting were moved, seconded and agreed.

2. Police: THEFT OF PHONE :SPRINGWELL ROAD, THEFT GARDEN ORNAMENTS : FELL PLACE , :DISORDER 2 X M/BIKES :SOMERFORD,SPRINGWELL, INTRUDERS ON SITE :THOMPSONS OF PRUDHOE, SPRINGWELL, :PROBLEMS WITH NEIGHBOURS: WORDSWORTH CRESCENT X2, CONCERN FOR FEMALE :ALDSWORTH CLOSE, COMPLAINT RE PARKING :MILL HOUSE HOTEL,BLACKFELL, SUSPICIOUS MALES :3,PEARETH EDGE,SPRINGWELL, THEFT FROM SITE :SPRINGWELL VILLAGE PRIMARY, ABANDONED CARAVAN :HEUGH HILL,SPRINGWELL, PROBLEMS WITH YOUTHS :PIZZA ROMINOS, INFO RE ASB :SPRINGWELL ROAD, SPRINGWELL X2
12 Incidents of note for time period of September 2nd – October 3rd
2 incidents of motorcycle disorder
Parking issues again at Mill House (CSO Susan Peverill is speaking to local councillor about this at present)
3 youth disorder jobs, again the problems are around the railway lines

3. Village Updates: Groundwork working with SVRA volunteers and school children to plant tubs around NISA store

4. Flooding: Paul Armin (Coastal & Flooding Engineer, SC) showed model of rainwater on Hellens’ site based on the worst storm in 120 years (‘Thunder Thursday’ 28.06.2012) and then showed the flows with the same volume of water after the proposed works have been complete. Model includes 40% further allowance for global warming. A clay bund and ditch on the site to the west of Beech Grove will be installed as well as a 300mm diameter pipe to facilitate drainage. At high volumes the water will pool behind the SE corner of the field and discharge at 16ltr/sec through the open ended pipe (covered by grid). It is expected pooling will be at most 2-3 hours. Water will be taken under the A195 and A182 and ultimately discharged into the River Wear.
The scheme has been jointly developed with Northumbrian Water. Legislation now says that houses have to discharge less water than open fields. It is expected the newly installed pipe would be classed as “flood defence” so a developer wanting to use it would have to seek appropriate permissions. The scheme will be maintained for 100years and inspected monthly. Work is expected to commence January 2018.

5. Northumbrian Water: Andy Downer (Project Manager, NWL). NWL had informed residents of their attendance at RA meeting. The sale of land from Hellens has now been completed and a site plan was distributed at the meeting. Plan shows access road on east of the site – this was a condition of sale which allows Hellens access to their site beyond – it will be approx. 45m from the Broom Court/Mount Lane junction.
The proposed site slopes and will need to be raised 8-10m at the south west corner. The development will be covered by a grassed slope which can be landscaped at the boundaries and part of the site may be used by community.
There was much discontent from residents at scale of slope. After the previous meeting residents thought the reservoir would be an underground development with only a small proportion above ground. NWL apologised for any misunderstanding.
NWL agreed to provide details of heights of existing land for future discussions and to consider possibility of more gradual slope. If houses are developed north of the NWL site it is unlikely they will be seen from Mount Lane.
No site traffic will be routed through village – although some disruption is inevitable. Construction will take around two years.
If planning permission for reservoir is not received NWL will appeal but eventually could consider selling the land.
Next steps: NWL will work on more detail and consult residents again. They will consider suggestions to soften visual impact and for community use of part of the site.
See Northumbrian Water tab on SVRA website for further information and plan.

6. Core Strategy and Dev Plan: 344 signatures on electronic petition, 1,366 on paper petition
1,362 objection letters (minimum as some objections were uploaded/emailed/posted to Council). SVRA also submitted a more detailed objection which is available on request.

7. Next meeting Tuesday 14 November 2017

Be the first to write a comment.

Your feedback